Monday, August 6, 2018

"That's what volunteers do"



Our latest blog post comes from Dominican Sister and Dominican Volunteers USA Board Member, Sister Mary Kremer.
Sister Mary Kremer OP


Sister Mary shares a conversation with the 2017-18 Chicago volunteers that exemplified St. Dominic’s mission.

Thank you for your service and Dominican example Sister Mary.

"Several months ago, I invited myself for supper to the House of Connections in Chicago because I wanted volunteers to join me in making an appeal for financial support for the Program at St. Vincent Ferrer Parish in River Forest IL. At the supper table, I described the project and asked if any one of the four volunteers might be interested in talking more about it.

Zach Moeller, sitting next to me, responded in a clear voice: “We’ll all help you.”

I was startled and looked right at Zach: “Are you saying ‘yes’”?

Without hesitation he replied, “Yes, of course. That’s what volunteers do.”

The other three looked right at me, saying nothing. Their broad grins said everything: “We too are ready.”

The annals of early Dominican life do not record St. Dominic speaking these same generous words, but I suspect that this great preacher and teacher spent his life generously giving to others whatever he had.

I have a short movie in my mind of four generous DVs, son and daughters of Dominic, Zach Moeller Elizabeth Drake, Madeleine Paulsen, and Sarah Pereira, that will carry me until I meet next year’s DVs.”
Zach, Elizabeth, Madeleine and Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment