Wednesday, January 31, 2018

September in New York

Dominican Volunteer Viviana Garcia Blanco serves with the Dominican Leadership Conference at the United Nations. Viviana offers a reflection on her early days of living and working in New York.


In September, the United Nations General Assembly is officially in session. This means that streets close, traffic is in a hectic frenzy, and heavy security is enforced-everywhere. I felt so important as I made my way through the crowd; my shiny blue badge glistening in the sun, my hair impeccable, my heels striding through the crack pavement.  World leaders stop to take pictures, talk to news anchors and journalists. Police block a pack of protestors nearby. I notice a woman holding a sign, it reads: You might have won the rat race, but you’re still a rat. I laugh, not understanding. Some days later the statement clicks. It’s September in New York, I am 22 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment